Shelagh Toonen from Elgin Academy in Moray has been named Scotland’s Library and Information Professional of the Year.
Toonen was given the award, which was presented at CILIP Scotland’s annual conference today (5th June), for her development of the school library, working with pupils, colleagues and external partners to create a productive learning environment.
David Barnett, head teacher at Elgin Academy, said: “Shelagh is an inspirational professional, who makes a major contribution to the very good levels of literacy attainment in the school - there is always something happening in the library to capture the attention and imagination of our young people.”
Toonen received the award from CILIP Scotland president Margaret Menzies.
- Gliori in protest over school librarian cuts
- Decision to axe school librarians in Argyll 'utterly disgraceful'
- Amy McKay wins school librarian of the year award
- Campaign raises £25k to give The Lost Words to Scottish primary schools
- Scotland’s First Deputy Minister 'intends' national school libraries policy