Hodder editorial director Melissa Cox has won a four-way auction for UK and Commonwealth rights to Mary Adkins’ début When You Read This, and a second book, inking the deal with Elinor Cooper at Diamond Kahn & Woods (on behalf of Regal Hoffmann and Associates’ Claire Anderson-Wheeler).
It will be Hodder’s spring 2019 superlead.
The novel by New York-based lawyer Adkins [pictured above], who advises storytellers on podcast “The Moth”, centres on the death of a young woman.
North American rights went to HarperCollins US, and the novel has been sold into seven other territories.
“I knew I wanted to publish this book after reading only 10 pages,” said Cox.
Cox also pre-empted UK and Commonwealth rights to Linda Holmes’ Head Case - a novel of “love, friendship, grief and base- ball” - from Rachel Clements at Abner Stein, acting on behalf of Sarah Burnes at The Gernert Company.
Hodder will publish the novel in spring 2019.
- Curtis Brown staffer's debut, second Villanelle novel on Frankfurt hotlists
- PRH staffer's early-years journal delivered to MOM
- Hodder wins American publisher Grames' debut after auction
- Hodder signs Vogue beauty editor's bible for women of colour
- Hodder wins Coleman's Brontë Mysteries series at auction