J K Rowling's The Casual Vacancy is to be published in Germany by Carlsen and Ullstein, acting in an unprecedented joint venture.
The hardback edition will bear the Carlsen name, as will the e-book, while paperback editions will carry the Ullstein publisher name. Translation, editorial, PR and marketing will be handled jointly by both publishers, but the Carlsen sales force will sell the hardback edition while Ullstein handles paperback sales. The publishers said that by joining forces, they would apply their combined publishing experience to launch the book across all areas of the German-language market. Date of publication has yet to be confirmed.
The book has also been sold to Meulenhoff-Boekerij in Holland, and to Salamandra in Spain.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone translated into Scots
- First winner of Harvill Secker young translators' prize
- Digital-first publisher translates French crime
- Carcanet to mark Remembrance Day with first English translation of Alain-Fournier's poetry
- Hahn donates award winnings to found a First Translation Prize