Middle-grade fiction Two Terrible Vikings will be published jointly by Faber and Profile on 2nd July 2020. Illustrated by Steve May, known for his work on Dennis the Menace, Simon’s new series "features a marauding band of terrible Vikings, led by terror twins Hack and Whack, who are adored by their parents for being the worst Vikings in the village", according to the synopsis.
Faber Publisher Leah Thaxton acquired world rights from Rosemary Sandberg on behalf of Faber and Profile. Simon is now represented by Stephanie Thwaites at Curtis Brown.
Simon said: "Imagine a world where parents want you to be bad. I've always loved Norse mythology and Viking history and it has been so much fun creating Hack and Whack's adventurous world. I'm also thrilled that Steve May is doing the illustrations. He is so brilliant at capturing manic energy and wild humour."
May added: "Having worked with Faber previously I'm delighted to be working with them again and very pleased and flattered to be working with such an impressive talent as Francesca. I've already caught myself laughing out loud at the text which is always the best sign and I'm relishing the chance of bringing Hack and Whack's terrible exploits to life. Getting to draw a baby wolf called Bitey Bitey is also a magnificent bonus!"
- Francesca Simon to publish first picture book with Faber and Profile
- New Horrid Henry book to mark series' 25th anniversary in 2019
- Faber and Profile to publish two new Alan Bennett Talking Heads monologues
- Timbuktu announces Rebel Girls Chapter Book series on Lovelace and Walker
- Little Tiger joins the circus with new Whitehorn series