Niantic Labs, the creator of free-to-download augmented reality game Pokemon Go, is to launch a new game based on Harry Potter in conjunction with Warner Bros.
The AR platform turns real-world streets, neighbourhoods and cities into a "global game board", and is able to bring players together in a shared digital reality. The new game, "Harry Potter: Wizards Unite", will enable players to learn spells, to explore their real world locations to discover and fight "legendary beasts", and to team up with other players to "take down powerful enemies".
Niantic's "Harry Potter: Wizards Unite" is one of a series of mobile and console game experiences planned by Warner to be released under its new label, Portkey Games.
The games will feature both new characters and and familiar characters "at different points in their lives" from the Harry Potter stories.
David Haddad, president of Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment, said: "With Portkey Games, we are thrilled to answer the fans’ requests for more games inspired by J K Rowling’s Wizarding World. We are working with talented creators to build games that focus on player-generated stories, which will live alongside the magical universe created by J K Rowling."
No release date has yet been given for the new game.
- Warner Bros creates Harry Potter franchise development team
- Harry Potter colouring book range from Studio Press and Warner Bros.
- Museum competition marks illustrated Harry Potter launch
- Bloomsbury launches 20th Harry Potter anniversary editions
- J K Rowling and Wizarding World partners launch Harry Potter at Home