HarperCollins Children’s Books has acquired a pre-emptive, two-book deal with debut author Tom Mitchell.
Mitchell’s first book, How to Rob a Bank, is about a boy called Dylan who thinks robbing a bank will make amends for burning down the house of the girl he wants to impress.
Harriet Wilson, senior editorial director at HarperCollins UK, acquired world rights from Anna Carmichael at Abner Stein on behalf of Lauren Abramo at Dystel, Goderich & Bourret. The book will be published in March 2019 by HarperCollins UK as well as HarperCollins Italia and HarperCollins Iberica (in Spanish and Portuguese).
Wilson said: “An arresting concept, irresistible characters and a hilarious voice collide in a startlingly funny debut. It reminded me of everything I loved about John Hughes movies when I was younger: it’s Ferris Bueller meets farcical heist.”
Mitchell is a teacher based in Orpington, Kent.
- HarperCollins Children’s Books pre-empts Gibbons debut in major three-book deal
- Orion acquires 'page-turner' debut by Smith in two-book pre-empt deal
- Hodder Children’s pre-empts Singer's 'book of our times'
- Wildfire pre-empts 'dark' debut Blood Orange
- PRH Children’s pre-empts world rights in Zurcher debut