PRH imprint Windmill is to publish debut psychological thriller Whoever You Are, Honey by Olivia Gatwood.
Publishing director Charlotte Cray bought UK and Commonwealth rights (excluding Canada) at auction, on proposal, from Jenny Hewson and Daisy Parente at Lutyens & Rubenstein on behalf of Mackenzie Brady Watson at SKA. Whoever You Are, Honey will be published in summer 2022.
The novel is a "feminist tale" of a young woman's obsession with her next door neighbour. When Mitty and her boyfriend, Theo, move to Santa Cruz, they find their new neighbours are an eerily perfect couple. After developing a crush on Lena, Mitty becomes obsessed with the idea that she is not real. Whoever You Are, Honey explores "the myth of female perfection and what it means to be constructed under the male gaze in the wake of advancing technology".
Cray said: "Gatwood’s writing is bold and dangerous—and just when you think you have the measure of it, it upends you. I sunk into Mitty’s off kilter world with glee and felt the electricity of Gatwood’s talent on every page. I know readers will be on the edge of their seats with this heady, crackling debut."
- Cape wins 'heated' five-way auction for biologist Raihani’s debut
- Viking triumphs in nine-way auction for youth worker's debut
- The Bodley Head wins six-way auction for Foulkes' corrective on mental illness
- Century wins auction for Random House veteran's grammar rules
- Windmill Books acquires lawyer's 'inside story'