Michael Joseph has acquired two psychological thrillers from Alex North after a five-way auction.
Publisher Joel Richardson acquired world rights in the books from Sandra Sawicka at Marjacq.
The first novel is a debut called The Whisper Man. It is a "darkly gripping" thriller about a father and son who move to a small town, which unbeknownst to them has been haunted by a serial killer. The one thing that links the victims is that in the days leading up to their disappearances, each claimed to have heard a whispering at their window.
Michael Joseph will publish the anonymous author, who writes under a pseudonym, in paperback in spring 2019.
Richardson said: “The Whisper Man is a truly exceptional thriller, combining the pace of Chris Carter with the creepiness of The Ice Twins. It’s gripping, moving and utterly chilling – I read it in one sitting and then slept with the lights on.”
North said: “I was enormously impressed by the ambition and expertise at Michael Joseph, and am thrilled and excited that The Whisper Man has found such a perfect home.”
- The Whisper Man snapped up in Hollywood film deal
- Hay House UK wins Bernstein's self-help book after five-way auction
- Radio star Eddie Mair snapped up after five-way auction
- Bluebird wins behavioural change expert Izadi after five-way auction
- Doyle's middle-grade debut to Bloomsbury after five-way auction