Candlewick Press, a US imprint of the Walker Book Group, has acquired global rights to The Beatryce Prophecy, the first collaboration from author Kate DiCamillo and illustrator Sophie Blackall.
Karen Lotz, president and publisher of Candlewick Press and Walker Books Group managing director, acquired world rights to one title from Holly McGhee at Pippin Properties in a "major" deal. Blackall was represented by Marietta Zacker at Gallt & Zacker.
The Beatryce Prophecy will be a tale of love and the power of words in a magical medieval setting. It will be supported by a co-ordinated international marketing campaign in the lead up to a September 2021 publication.
Candlewick executive editor Andrea Tompa said: "In The Beatryce Prophecy, as in all her books, Kate DiCamillo has given us the gift of fully realised, unforgettable characters—not least of which is Answelica the goat, whose fierceness and devotion are unparalleled. The book is a page-turning, heart-tugging read, and it will leave readers inspired to think about how we might reimagine our own world for the better."
Walker book has published several of DiCamillo's books including The Magician's Elephant (2015), Raymie Nightingale (2017) and Louisiana's Way Home (2019).
- 'JK Rowling's Wizarding World' interactive series to Walker Books
- Abrams lands second picture book series from Hale and Pham
- Walker signs Grammy nominee Rhiannon Giddens in four-book deal
- Walker to publish guide to becoming 'actively anti-racist' for teens
- Rosen and Dunbar team up for 'charming' illustrated poetry collection with Walker