Summersdale's recently-launched health imprint Vie will publish a memoir by British psychiatrist Linda Gask this September.
The Other Side of Silence: A Psychiatrist's Memoir of Depression chronicles Gask's own experiences of depression. Despite spending her career helping other people's mental health, she discovered that being an expert in the subject did not make her immune from it.
Editorial director Claire Plimmer bought world rights from UK agents Graham Maw Christie.
Plimmer said: "Artfully crafted and told with warmth and honesty, this is the story of Linda’s journey, interwoven with insights into her patients’ diverse experiences of depression. It sets out to convey, in a new and original way, how depression truly feels, and to challenge the stigma that still surrounds this life-shattering illness.”
Gask is emerita professor of primary care psychiatry at the University of Manchester.
The book will be published in September 2015 as a £9.99 paperback original and e-book.
- Headline Home acquires parenting book from influencer Clemmie Telford
- Hachette Children's acquires Hill's 'myth-busting and celebratory' guide to periods
- Headline acquires self-published Anxiety Rebalance in two-book deal
- Pavilion to publish nutritionist's vegan guide
- Endeavour signs Deeney's Love & Care