Simon & Schuster Children's UK has acquired two LGBTQ+ middle-grade titles from debut author Benjamin Dean.
Ali Dougal, publishing director, and Lucy Rogers, senior commissioning editor, bought UK and Commonwealth rights in a two-book deal from Alice Sutherland-Hawes at Madeleine Milburn Agency Literary Agency.
The first title, Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow, featuring illustrations by Sandhya Prabhat, will be published in February 2021. A second novel is anticpated between nine months to a year later.
Rogers said of the first novel: "This is a hugely special, utter gem of a book; a rainbow-coloured, joy-filled celebration of love in all its forms and people with all their unique differences. We feel incredibly lucky to be publishing Benjamin’s debut and to be welcoming such an exciting new talent to the list."
Dean said: "I couldn’t be more excited to work with the wonderful team at Simon & Schuster, and for everybody to finally meet Archie Albright and Dad next February. Like Archie, I felt a little lost growing up, so in a way this book feels like giving my younger self something to hold onto. I hope other people can find something within these pages to hold onto as well."
- S&S UK bags 'super commercial' middle-grade series in six-figure pre-empt
- S&S Children scoops Alex English's first middle-grade series
- S&S scoops Nadia Shireen's 'game-changing' middle-grade series
- S&S UK pre-empts Bishop's debut in two-book deal
- PRH Children's pre-empts 'ambitious' middle grade for six figures