Khaled Mattawa won the £3,000 Saif Ghobash-Banipal Prize at an event to celebrate literature in translation held by The Society of Authors at Kings Place, London N1, last night (Tuesday 7th February).
Mattawa won the prize for a translation of Selected Poems by Adonis (Yale University Press).
Meanwhile Damion Searls won the £3,000 Schlegel-Tieck Prize for his translation of Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson (Hesperus); Adriana Hunter won the £2,000 Scott Moncrieff Prize for her translation of Beside the Sea by Veronique Olmi (Pereine); Frank Wynne won the £2,000 Premio Valle Inclan Prize for his translation of Kamchatka by Marcello Figueras (Atlantic); and Paul Vincent won the £5,000 Vondel Prize for his translation of My Little War by Louis Paul Boon (Dalkey Archive Press).
- Jull Costa wins children’s translation award
- Graphic novels, poetry and art history make up SoA Translation Prizes shortlists
- SoA and Translators' Association call for racial equality in translation
- Ruppin launches PEN translated literature book club
- Winn and Pearce make RSL Christopher Bland Prize shortlist