Scholastic will this autumn publish a new picture book by the creators of The Wonky Donkey, which hit the bestseller lists after a video of a Scottish grandmother reading the book went viral.
The Dinky Donkey by Craig Smith and Katz Cowley is about a “blinky pinky winky-tinky funky dinky donkey" and will be published in the UK, US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia on 1st November. Scholastic New Zealand acquired world rights directly from Smith and from Cowley's agent, Felicity Trew at the Caroline Sheldon Literary Agency.
Scholastic New Zealand publisher Lynette Evans said: “What we love about The Dinky Donkey is that this is not only a funny, clever, cumulative rhyming story featuring an adorable and spirited female character, but it is a story that says no matter how little you are, no matter where you’re from or how you look, you can be happy to be you! The demand for a sequel has been phenomenal and we couldn’t be prouder of Craig and Katz as they bring this new dose of laughter and love to the world.”
Scholastic said it has sold two million copies of The Wonky Donkey worldwide since the video of a granny reading the book launched on YouTube.
- Scholastic to publish third book in Wonky Donkey series
- Scholastic UK to reprint 'Wonky Donkey' picture book
- Puffin Books to publish Tom Fletcher sequel to The Christmasaurus in 2019
- Penguin to publish sequel to McManus' One of Us is Lying
- Hamish Hamilton to publish sequel to Barker's The Silence of the Girls