Like-for-like sales drop 4% at W H Smith

<p>W H Smith has reported a drop in like-for-like sales of 4% for its latest financial quarter, with total sales rising 1%.<br /><br />For the 13 weeks to 30th May, like-for-like sales in the 557 W H Smith high street stores were down 5% compared to the same period last year. Its travel stores, which include branches in airports, train stations, hospitals and motorway service stations, saw like-for-like sales drop 2%.</p><p>The retailer claimed it had &quot;outperformed&quot; in its travel business, given the softening of airport passenger numbers.<br /><br />It did not strip out book sales figures. In a statement, the retailer said: &quot;The economic environment remains uncertain and, whilst we continue to be cautious about consumer spending, we are confident in the outcome for the full year.&quot;</p>