Rights holders to bear piracy costs, says minister

<p>Rights holders should bear the brunt of the costs behind tackling digital piracy, a government minister has said. According to the<a href="http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/65cca4b4-06ba-11df-b426-00144feabdc0.html" target="_blank"><em> Financial Times</em></a>, Treasury minister Stephen Timms told delegates at the Oxford Media Convention that rights holders should pay 75% of the charges arising from the fight against illegal downloads as they would be the &quot;primary beneficiaries&quot; of the move. Internet service providers will pay the remaining 25%. </p><p>It had been previoulsy argued that costs be split evenly between Internet Service Providers and rights holders. The <em>FT</em> said ministers estimated this would cost &pound;500m over 10 years. </p><p>Under the Digital Economy Bill being debated in the House of Lords, broadband subscribers spotted by rights holders swapping songs or films online without the consent of copyright owners will be sent letters by their ISPs. Persistent offenders could face temporary suspension of their internet access.</p><p>Timms also urged companies involved in selling content online to &ldquo;get a move on&rdquo; with creating legal alternatives to piracy. &ldquo;Progress has been much too slow,&rdquo; he said.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </p>