Puffin has acquired the new children’s book from US actor and comedian B J Novak.
The Book With No Pictures begins by suggesting that non-illustrated books seem serious and boring, but goes on to use words read aloud in an original and humorous way, in a shared reading experience illustrated in Novak's own reading of the book on YouTube. The clip has had over two million hits.
Alice Blacker, executive editor at Puffin Picture Books, acquired the UK and Commonwealth rights from Dial Books for Young Readers, Penguin USA, and said she “just had to have this book”. She said: “The idea of a picture book without pictures is completely new and an ingenious way to interact with children through a book. It completely subverts the picture book format and has the potential to reinvent how we read to our children. We’re sure this is going to be a major word of mouth hit this Christmas.”
B. J. Novak is best known as an actor on the US version of "The Office" and in films such as "Inglorious Basterds" and "Saving Mr Banks".
Puffin will publish in hardback on the 4th December (r.r.p. £12.99).
- Puffin to publish Novak's follow-up to The Book with No Pictures
- Puffin snaps up Novak activity book
- Comedian Olaf Falafel signs with HarperCollins Children's
- Francesca Simon to publish first picture book with Faber and Profile
- Puffin scoops 'heartwarming' picture book on wellbeing by Morrisroe and Okstad