Puffin has acquired The Bear in the Stars by debut author and print-maker Alexis Snell.
Joe Marriott, editorial director, and Olivia Edwards, commissioning editor, acquired world rights from Charlie Bowden at Pickled Ink. The book will be published on 15th October 2020.
The Bear in the Stars is said to be a lyrical fable which celebrates the wonders of the natural world as a response to climate change.
Snell is an artist who works with lino prints, and her artwork is featured throughout the book which is designed by Puffin senior designer Stephanie Jones. A video about the design and printing process for The Bear in the Stars is available on Youtube.
Jones commented: "Each page in the book is an astonishingly beautiful hand-carved lino print in hues that mirror Earth's changing climate in the story—moving from cool blues to hot reds to hopeful greens. Her combination of the traditional method of lino printing and this distinctively modern colour palette creates a book that’s truly original and showcases Alexis’ talent beautifully."
Snell added: "I hope this story will resonate with children and adults and show that if we are conscientious, we can live alongside nature without causing harm. Above all, I hope it will be read and enjoyed time and again."
- Susanna Clarke wins Women's Prize with 'truly original' Piranesi
- 'Truly original' Joseph Knox novel to Doubleday
- Headline Accent acquires Chandler's 'truly chilling' debut in two-book deal
- W&N acquires 'dazzlingly original' history of women's self-portraits
- Fourth Estate lands 'funny, original' debut set in 2054