Penguin Random House UK has revealed the 30 book cover designs shortlisted for its annual Student Design Award. Students from across 16 different universities have been included, with an incredible four from Falmouth University making the list.
The Student Design Award aims to find the next generation of book cover designers by giving students the opportunity to experience real cover design briefs first-hand. The winner of each category will win a work placement within the Penguin Random House Design Studios as well as £1,000 in prize money. The winners of the 2nd prize in each category will receive a £500 cash prize and the winners of the 3rd prize in each category will receive a £350 cash prize.
The competition sees aspiring student designers reimagine iconic book covers across the award’s three categories. This year’s book titles are Haruki Murakami’s Norwegian Wood for the adult fiction cover award, The Establishment by political commentator Owen Jones for the adult non-fiction cover award and Wonder by R J Palacio for the children's cover award.
Artwork by L-R Lewis Bowness, Louise Baskerville, Lauren Maxwell and Lucy Rogers
30 cover designs were chosen from a record-breaking 2,310 submissions. Art directors from Penguin Random House have provided each of the shortlisted designers with detailed feedback on their covers, giving the students the opportunity to refine their designs before the final judging takes place.
The judging panel is made up of Art Directors from across Penguin Random House UK as well as guest judges from the design and publishing industry, including: Noma Bar, Seb Lester, Coralie Bickford-Smith, Jamie Keenan, Laura Ellen Anderson, and Jan Bielecki. The winners of the 2019 award will be announced on Wednesday 19th June.
Full shortlist below:
Adult Fiction Cover Award
- Monica Arroyo – Kingston University
- Rowan Collins – Norwich University of the Arts
- Francesca Di Pillo – Anglia Ruskin University
- Ashley Drew – Coventry University
- Louis Gabaldoni – Norwich University of the Arts
- Andrius Maknevicius – University of Salford
- Bethany Rush - Falmouth University
- Josie Staveley-Taylor – Falmouth University
- Stefano Zappia – Politecnico di Torino
- Beate Zarina - Falmouth University
Adult Non-Fiction Cover Award
- Samuel Ayres – Solent University
- Lewis Bowness – Nottingham Trent University
- Toby Clarke – University of Northampton
- Amie Ennew – Anglia Ruskin University
- Robert Hall – University for the Creative Arts
- Lauren Maxwell – Anglia Ruskin University
- Ryan Scurfield – Leeds Arts University
- Femke Smits – University of Northampton
- Mihai Toma – Coventry University
- Charlotte Vaughan – Norwich University of the Arts
Children’s Cover Award
- Louise Baskerville – University of Hertfordshire
- Heather Dagless – University of Derby
- Celestin Dimitriu – Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Emily Fox – University of Derby
- Bethany Free – Nottingham Trent University
- Sian McKeever – University of the Arts London
- Sam Prentice – Arts University Bournemouth
- Lucy Rogers – Falmouth University
- Sancia Rose – University of Hertfordshire
- Beatrice Simpkiss – Arts University Bournemouth