Parthian Books has acquired Max: Hymns & Arias – The Selected Stories, Songs and Poems of Max Boyce by Welsh singer, comedian and entertainer Max Boyce.
Boyce has sold more than two million albums and the collection will feature songs, poems and stories from across his career and include photos from Boyce's private archive as well as old and new illustrations. It is billed as the "definitive selected work of a major cultural figure, who through his inimitable humour, uniquely Welsh pathos and masterful wordcraft has defined a nation and its people for more than half a century".
The publisher approached Boyce to create this title after the hearing his 2020 poem "When the Tide Went Out", which was dedicated to the NHS during the pandemic. The deal was then made with the author and his agent Stuart Littlewood of Handshake Group.
Richard Lewis Davies, publisher, said: "Max Boyce's work, with over 50 years of creativity, captures the spirit and the story of the people of Wales. It also has a warmth and humour that has made his songs, poems and stories resonate worldwide. It is a real honour for us as a Welsh publisher to be working with Max on this book..."
- Octopus to publish Churchill: The Life
- Welsh market faces long road ahead after Covid-19—but publishers remain optimistic
- John Sam Jones | 'Without stories, people are clothed in silence'
- The Indigo Press signs 'exquisite' selection of stories from Muñoz
- Walker to publish Shadowhunter stories, plus more Nelson