Richard Osman's debut crime novel The Thursday Murder Club (Viking) has been named W H Smith's Book of the Year for 2020.
In September, the book became the fastest selling adult crime debut since BookScan records began, and is still at number three in this week's UK Official Top 50 chart.
The novel tells the story of four septuagenarians friends who live in a retirement community and, led by a former spy, form the Thursday Murder Club to solve cold cases for fun. But when a shady property developer is found dead, the four find themselves in the middle of their first live case.
Lucy Swinburn, head of books at W H Smith, commented: “The Thursday Murder Club is a charming and uplifting novel with witty humour and a clever storyline, this is the perfect read for fiction fans. It’s a firm favourite with our books team and our customers.”
Viking bought the TV host’s book, alongside one other novel, last year for a seven-figure sum following a 10-publisher auction. Auctions and pre-empts followed around the globe. In September, Osman signed a deal for two more books in the series.
Osman commented: "I'm absolutely thrilled that The Thursday Murder Club is the W H Smith Book of the Year. I promise it will make you laugh and make you cry, and I guarantee you won't solve the mystery. The perfect Christmas gift from W H Smith!”
- Richard Osman's fiction debut scooped by Viking for seven figures in 10-way auction
- Titles by Honeyman and Fraser crowned WHS 'Books of the Year'
- Osman's Thursday Murder Club is the Christmas Number One
- Osman's Thursday Murder Club scores a hat-trick at the top
- Transworld debut The Couple Next Door named W H Smith's Book of the Year