Designer Orla Kiely, best known for creating handbags and hats, will launch a new range of baby and toddler books in September with Colours and Numbers, inspired by her own trademark designs. The books will be published by Egmont Press.
Kiely said, “It was nice to refocus some of my designs for the first books and to work with other colours that you don’t normally see in baby books, such as black, grey and brown.”
Kiely is creating new designs for two more books, Creatures and Shapes, in the spring. “I really enjoyed creating these. They will also incorporate my trademark designs but the elements are more developed. I hope they will be enjoyed by the grownups as well as the children.”
Egmont is planning a number of author events, festival appearances and national press coverage to back the launch. Kiely’s designs may also be developed into other products for babies and toddlers, including clothing and kitchenware.
- Kiely and Scheffler design totes for this year’s Books Are My Bag
- ‘Tolkien for toddlers’ and puppies to Oup children’s books
- Harry Potter colouring book range from Studio Press and Warner Bros.
- 'Wide-ranging and diverse' Booker Prize shortlist welcomed by trade, despite surprise omissions
- Penguin Classics launches Green Ideas range with Thunberg and Klein