Indie press Open Pen and Newham Bookshop are joining forces to host a fundraiser for the homeless in East London.
Granta, Faber, Rough Trade, Serpent’s Tail, Myriad, One World, Pluto, Influx and Istros are also supporting the Book Benefit for the Homeless which will take place at 7pm on 27th August at The Wanstead Tap, Forest Gate, London.
The ten indie publishers have donated books which are to be sold at half price. All proceeds from refreshments and books on the night will go Bridges Homeless Support service. Bridges supports homeless and vulnerably housed people in East London to identify and address multiple needs.
Authors Will Ashon, Irenosen Okojie, Courttia Newland, Emma Warren, Salena Godden and Mazin Saleem will take part in readings during the event.
The fundraiser follows the success Influx Press and independent bookshop Burley Fisher's Book Benefit for the Hackney Homeless in March, which raised nearly £1,000.
Entry is free but donations welcomed on the door. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Indie publishers and bookshop join forces for homeless charity
- Indies join forces with London bookshop to raise money for homeless
- Morpurgo, James and Byatt join forces with London bookshops to raise money for homeless
- New indie bookshops open in Harrogate and Woodbridge
- Indie booksellers concerned by latest Oxfam Bookshop