Octopus is rolling out a guerrilla marketing campaign for Women Don’t Owe You Pretty, as the debut feminist memoir's sales exceed 100,000 copies through UK Bookscan in its first six months.
The book, by Florence Given, will be at the centre of a campaign launching today (7th December) in London, Birmingham and Manchester with 200 x 4-sheet adverts, appearing in each city featuring one of the author’s powerful quotes, such as: "Stop wasting time on people who don’t realise what a privilege it is to even know you."
Given will simultaneously launch a social media campaign inviting people to find the banners in their city and tag her on Instagram with #WomenDontOweYouPretty.
Next week, building on the success of #WDOYP10, the publishing team will then be launching a further follower engagement campaign on Given's platform where she will be encouraging fans to share their favourite quote or advice from the book, tagging the friend they want to share it with.
Octopus is also creating bespoke "Female Gaze" gift tags that they will be offering in limited numbers to bookshops on a first-come first-served basis. Waterstones already is selling an exclusive "gold edition" of the book.
- Small edition of Women Don't Owe You Pretty launched with NLT partnership
- Women Don't Owe You Pretty author launches instagram campaign
- Junot Díaz | 'If you tell a child you’re a writer and don’t have a story for them, no one can make you feel more fraudulent'
- Fatima Bhutto | "I think when people think of Pakistani women they think of reserved, quiet, compliant women and I don’t know any quiet, compliant women in Pakistan"
- Lauren Ace and Jenny Løvlie | 'You can be kind and strong and good, but you don’t have to be exceptional'