Firefly Press has acquired an environmental YA novel by Nicola Davies, an author, trained biologist and former BBC presenter.
Skull Gully, the first book in a trilogy, is set in a world where Speakers are people who communicate with animals but are shunned and hunted by government forces. When Harlon’s younger brother and sister, Ash and Xeno, began lining up robins and mice in the garden, their parents packed the whole family off to a place where no one would find them.
Firefly Press acquired UK and Commonwealth rights to Skull Gully from Veronique Baxter of David Higham.
Publisher Penny Thomas said: “Nicola is a wonderful writer whose books for younger children are deservedly much loved. Skull Gully is a riveting rollercoaster ride for older readers through our perceptions of the natural world and what binds us to it. We are so delighted to be working with Nicola and publishing this terrific and important novel.”
Publication is set for spring 2021.
- Firefly to publish 'thrilling' Davies environmental adventure this autumn
- Davies signs 10-book deal with Graffeg
- Catherine O’Flynn signs first children’s book deal
- Nicola Davies | 'My aim has always been to ignite a passion for the natural world in my young readers'
- HCG signs MG deal with debut author Justin Davies