Moyes wins damages over Rooney memoir

<p>Everton manager David Moyes has won a &quot;substantial&quot; sum in damages for allegations made in England international footballer Wayne Rooney&#39;s autobiography, which is published by HarperCollins.</p><p>In a statement to the High Court today (Tuesday, 3rd June) solicitor Edward Parladorio, for Moyes, said that Rooney&#39;s 2006 autobiography <em>Wayne Rooney - My Story So Far </em>&quot;accused Mr Moyes of a serious breach of trust towards a young player under his management&quot;. Moyes was unhappy at the book&#39;s account of the events leading up to Rooney&#39;s 2004 transfer from Everton to Manchester United.</p><p>&quot;The book referred to a private meeting with Mr Moyes where Mr Rooney stated his intention to leave Everton and the city of Liverpool by reason of intense press coverage of his personal life and its effects on Mr Rooney and his fianc&eacute;e, Coleen McLoughlin,&quot; said Parladorio. &quot;Mr Moyes was accused in the book of immediately leaking the contents of that private and confidential conversation to the Liverpool Echo, with the result that an account of the meeting appeared in the next day&#39;s issue.&quot;</p><p>However, Parladorio continued, this allegation was completely untrue. &quot;There was no breach of confidence or betrayal of trust by Mr Moyes,&quot; he said. &quot;Happily Mr Rooney, Mr Davies [Rooney&#39;s ghostwriter] and HarperCollins Publishing Limited appear here today by their solicitor to acknowledge that they were mistaken and publicly to withdraw the allegation and apologise.&quot;<br /><br />Parladorio added that the defendents--HarperCollins, Rooney and Davies--have also agreed to pay Moyes a substantial sum in damages and his legal costs.</p><p>Sarah Toolan, solicitor for the defendants, confirmed everything that Parladorio said. &quot;All defendants accept that the allegation to which my friend has referred was untrue and sincerely apologise to Mr Moyes for the distress and embarrassment caused,&quot; she said.</p><p>In a statement, Moyes said that he would be donating the damages to the Everton Former Players&#39; Foundation. &quot;Anyone who knows me well would, I hope, regard me as a man of honour and integrity,&quot; he said. &quot;I was disappointed and wanted people to know that what had been written was completely untrue. I felt that I had no choice but to take action for a full apology and damages.</p><p>&quot;All of the above said, we have now moved on and I wish Wayne and his family all the best for the future both on the field and off it.&quot;</p><p>The ruling will not affect the existing paperback version of the autobiography. When the paperback was published, it omitted the allegation that led to today&#39;s ruling.</p>