Mirror Books has acquired true crime story The Witness by journalist Nicola Tallant.
Executive editor Jo Sollis acquired world, TV and film rights direct from the author. Publication is scheduled for 21st May 2020.
The Witness tells the story of Joey O’Callaghan who at 18 became the youngest person ever to be signed up to the witness protection programme. O’Callaghan was groomed into a drug gang at age 10, but after witnessing a murder he broke away and gave evidence against two of the most violent drug bosses in Ireland. He was relocated to England and 15 years later the ripple effects of the crime he witnessed still continue to have a devastating effect on everyone.
Tallent said: “The Witness is undoubtedly the most extraordinary story of my career. Joey 'The Lips' O'Callaghan was groomed into the underworld as a young child but as he became a man he broke all the rules and his story is a testament of how good can win out over bad. I am thrilled that we could work together to produce this unique insight into the world of organised crime.”
Sollis added: “I am very excited to be working with such a skilled and knowledgeable writer as Nicola. The story she tells of Joey’s descent into a terrifying criminal world is not only gripping from the start—it also brings shocking new revelations.”
- Mirror Books to publish 'remarkable' Second World War memoir
- Mirror Books to publish refugee's story of 'bravery and endurance'
- Mirror Books to publish The Miraculous Life of Maggie the Wunderdog
- Mirror Books to publish NHS health visitor's professional confessional
- Mirror Books to publish Martin and Shirlie Kemp's love story