Mirror Books will publish The Weight of Small Things by debut author Julie Lancaster.
Senior commissioning editor Ajda Vucicevic acquired world rights direct from the author. Mirror Books will publish the book on 6th August 2020 in paperback and e-book.
Translation and audio rights will be handled by Lorella Belli at the Lorella Belli Literary Agency Ltd.
The Weight of Small Things follows nine-year-old Frankie Appleton, who returns home from a birthday party to find her mother dead. While the police suspect suicide, Frankie thinks there is more to it and she has to find out what really happened.
The book is described as a "delicately brutal exploration of what lurks behind closed doors, and of the secrets and lies that form the fabric of every family. The Weight of Small Things is as charming as it is chilling, and readers are in for a powerful and twisty read."
Vucicevic said: "I’ve been waiting for a novel of this calibre for years. For books like this to capture the hearts and imagination of readers, they have to deliver the perfect mix of intrigue, twists and unputdownable writing. This book has it all, and I couldn’t be more thrilled to be bringing Julie’s magic to readers."
- Trapeze wins single mother's 'powerful' memoir in five-way auction
- True stories on adoption and alcoholism to Blink
- Quercus acquires 'provocative' 28-day guide to anti-racism
- Debut author lands £1.5m publishing deal for 'sensational' historical novel
- Welbeck to publish 'pulse-pounding and fearless' debut