Saqi imprint The Westbourne Press has acquired an essay on London by fantasy author China Mieville.
Editor Rukhsana Yasmin bought UK and Commonwealth rights, excluding Australia, New Zealand and Canada, in the essay, "London's Overthrow". The publisher describes Mieville as "cutting through the hyperbole of our politicians to present a view from ordinary London-of the inequality, oppression and indignity, and the hidden, subversive sentiment pervading our streets".
The book will also feature 48 fully-integrated colour photographs taken by the author. A shorter version of the essay has previously appeared in the New York Times Magazine.
Yasmin said: "The Westbourne Press is thrilled to be publishing China Mieville's London's Overthrow; a timely essay describing a collective malaise prevalent in the city today and an outstanding addition to our new non-fiction imprint."
- David Morrissey to star in BBC2 adaptation of Miéville's The City & The City
- Israeli-Palestinian life explored in Saqi essay collection
- Emma Thompson and Greg Wise's charity Christmas essays to Quercus
- Duffy and Riddell contribute to Saqi Books' 'Muslamic' satire
- Saqi Books on 'high-brow' Orange shortlist