A cookbook launched by Meghan Markle has been shortlisted for the André Simon Food & Drink Book Awards as the prize prepares to celebrate its 40th anniversary.
André Simon Food & Drink Book Awards have announced this year’s shortlist for 2018 in the run-up to Christmas in their 40th anniversary year.
Together: Our Community Cookbook made headlines earlier this year after the Duchess of Sussex launched the 50-recipe book created in the wake of the Grenfell Fire. The book has made the shortlist alongside titles from The Great British Bake Off’s Tom Morton and former André Simon Award winner Niki Segnit.
The 15-strong shortlist has been whittled down from 150 entries with the winners to be announced at a ceremony at the Goring Hotel in London on 5 February 2019.
Judges were guided by this year’s independent assessors, chef, food writer and author, Meera Sodha and wine expert and journalist, Victoria Moore.
Chair of the André Simon Memorial Fund Nicholas Lander said: “This has been a bumper year for the André Simon awards. The shortlist features established food and drink figures, including Diana Henry and Oz Clarke, alongside first-time authors Ben Lebus and James and Tom Morton. The diverse publications range from a portrait of a pie and mash restaurant in East London to an exquisitely photographed homage to the world’s finest teas. This reflects a vibrant and dynamic food and drink book industry which our awards have been celebrating for 40 years. The shortlist provides fantastic ideas for Christmas stockings, having been whittled down from 150 strong entries.”
Shortlisted Food Books 2018
- Black Sea by Caroline Eden (Quadrille Publishing)
- First, Catch by Thom Eagle (Quadrille Publishing)
- How to Eat a Peach by Diana Henry (Mitchell Beazley)
- Lateral Cooking by Niki Segnit (Bloomsbury Publishing)
- MOB Kitchen by Ben Lebus (Pavilion Books)
- Pasta, Pane, Vino by Matt Goulding (Hardie Grant Publishing)
- Pie and Mash Down the Roman Road by Melanie McGrath (Two Roads)
- Shetland by James & Tom Morton (Quadrille Publishing)
- Together by The Hubb Community Kitchen (Ebury Press)
Shortlisted Drink Books 2018
- Amber Revolution Flawless by Simon J Woolf (Morning Claret Productions)
- Flawless by Jamie Goode (University of California Press)
- Red & White by Oz Clarke (Little Brown Book Group)
- The Life of Tea by Michael Freeman & Timothy D'Offay (Mitchell Beazley)
- The Sommelier’s Atlas of Taste by Rajat Parr and Jordan Mackay (Ten Speed Press)
- Vineyards, Rocks and Soils by Alex Maltman (Oxford University Press)