Fourth Estate has signed a satirical novel by Elizabeth McKenzie for publication in January 2016.
Commissioning editor Anna Kelly signed UK and Commonwealth rights to The Portable Veblen in a deal with Anthony Goff at David Higham Associates, on behalf of Emily Forland at Brandt & Hochman. Penguin Press will publish in the US.
The book is set in California, and features dysfunctional families, an unexpected marriage proposal, a corrupt pharmaceuticals company, an intelligent squirrel and the collected works of sociologist Thorstein Veblen.
Kelly said: "This is a joy of a novel by a seriously talented author with lots to say. Stylish and extremely funny, it’s also bursting with ideas and underpinned by astute, sensitive insight. I am full of anticipation for our publication next year and so happy that 4th Estate will be bringing this fresh and exciting new voice to UK readers."
- American debut to Fourth Estate after eight-way auction
- 4th Estate wins seven-way auction for Silicon Valley story
- 4th Estate signs Mexican author Luiselli's novel and non-fiction 'companion'
- Fourth Estate swoops for 'exhilarating' Elizabeth Day novel Magpie
- Fourth Estate signs debut Brexit thriller