TV production company Magic Light Pictures has optioned the Mr Panda picture series by Steve Antony.
The books are published by Hachette Children’s Group (HCG) imprint Hodder Children’s Books and the deal was brokered by HCG senior licensing manager Karen Lawler and Michael Rose, joint m.d. at Magic Light Pictures.
“Mr Panda’s deadpan humour, fuzzy appeal and iconic illustrations have made him a success the world over. He’s the perfect character for TV development and we’re thrilled to add this project to the exciting roster of the HCG licensing team’s TV and film adaptations,” said Lawler. “We couldn’t think of a better partner than Magic Light Pictures for bringing Mr Panda to life on screen.”
Magic Light Pictures is best known for its adaptations of Julia Donaldson/Axel Scheffler pictures books and recently optioned Scheffler’s Pip & Posy series, published by Nosy Crow. The company is planning on creating a Mr Panda animation and will handle merchandising rights during the option period.
HCG has retained the stage rights to the series, which features six titles: Please Mr Panda; I’ll Wait, Mr Panda, Thank You, Mr Panda; Goodnight, Mr Panda; and the upcoming Mr Panda’s Colours and Mr Panda’s Feelings.
- Hachette Children's Group to publish graphic novel tackling climate crisis
- Sinead Burke's debut children's book takes shape with Hachette Children's Group
- Juno Dawson's YA trilogy optioned for TV by The Lighthouse
- Blackman and Elphinstone pen WBD 2019 titles
- Hodder Children's secures first Richard Adams picture book