Library campaign group Save Lincolnshire Libraries will challenge the county authority’s decision to withdraw funding for its libraries at the High Court next week, according to local news reports.
The Stamford Mercury said Lincoln resident Simon Draper, acting on behalf of Save Lincolnshire Libraries, will be in the High Court on Tuesday and Wednesday (21st-22nd) July to fight the council’s decision to stop funding 32 of its 47 libraries.
Labour county councillor John Hough, speaking on behalf of campaigners, said: “We appeal to the county council even at this late hour to discuss with Simon Draper and Save Lincolnshire Libraries a way out of legal proceedings that are costly and unnecessary.
“Despite repeated attempts to get the council to come to the table to discuss the issues they have refused to engage with the people of Lincolnshire on finding a way forward for the library service that offers an alternative to closure or to withdrawing valued and experienced staff from the existing libraries.”
In response, the council’s executive member for libraries Nick Worth said the council had prepared “the strongest possible defence” and would continue to implement its plans to create a “new-look library service”.
Last year Draper organised a judicial review of Lincolnshire’s library plans, after the council proposed cutting the budget by £2m. A High Court ruling last July said the council's plans were "flawed", however the council proposed the same cuts in January this year.