Hachette Children’s Group (HCG) has acquired four middle-grade novels from Kiran Millwood Hargrave for a six-figure sum.
Editor-at-large Helen Thomas bought world rights from Hellie Ogden at Janklow & Nesbit UK.
“Kiran is one of the most thrilling children’s novelists writing today, leading the way in the market. Her exciting stories absorb the reader at plot level, and on a deeper level she taps into themes and symbols that explore what it means to be human,” said group senior publisher Ruth Alltimes. “On behalf of the whole team here, I could not be more delighted to welcome Kiran to Hachette Children’s Group.”
HCG, which is publishing the author’s upcoming YA novel The Deathless Girls, did not reveal any information about the new books but said one will be illustrated by Millwood Hargrave’s husband, Tom de Freston.
Millwood Hargrave is also the author of children’s books The Girl of Ink and Stars, The Island at the End of Everything and The Way Past Winter (Chicken House), and one upcoming adult book, The Mercies, which sold to Picador after a 13-publisher auction.
- Millwood Hargrave and de Waal reimagine classics for Bellatrix launch
- Matharu signs six-figure deal with Hodder Children’s
- Puffin acquires Jamie Littler debut in six-figure deal
- Macmillan Children's scoops fantasy trilogy in six-figure Bologna deal
- Chicken House signs three-book deal with Millwood Hargrave