HQ has made a “swift” six-figure pre-empt to secure We Are Not Like Them, a “compulsively page-turning” début by Simon & Schuster US senior editor Christine Pride and writer Jo Piazza, and a second book, currently untitled, by the pair.
It focuses on a lifelong friendship between black TV journalist Riley and Jen, a working-class white woman, who is married to a Philadelphia police officer. When Jen’s husband becomes embroiled in the shooting of an unarmed black teenager, it throws up “complex questions of race and how they play out in our most intimate spaces”.
Manpreet Grewal, editorial director at HQ, pre-empted UK and Commonwealth rights (excluding Canada) from Sue Armstrong at C+W, on behalf of Alexandra Machinist at ICM. Grewal said the novel was “honest, searing, emotional and so very important—it is destined to become a classic”. William Morrow secured US rights to both novels at auction from Machinist.
Christine Pride and Jo Piazza
- Six-figure Flatshare for PRH editor O'Leary
- Fourth Estate signs PRH editor's 'dazzling' debut for six figures
- US rights in Main's first book for Phoenix fly in six-figure deal
- Hamish Hamilton assembles six figures for Brown's 'visionary' début
- Transworld editor's debut Seven Lies goes for seven figures