Bonnier Publishing division Hot Key Books has acquired the debut novel by US author Alyssa Hollingsworth at auction.
Commissioning editor Felicity Johnston acquired the UK and Commonwealth rights to The Eleventh Trade, a middle-grade novel about a refugee from Afghanistan, in a two-book deal with Amber Caravéo, director at Skylark.
Hot Key will publish in autumn 2018, along with Roaring Brook Press in the US. A second title will follow in autumn 2019.
Johnston said: “The Eleventh Trade is exactly the kind of book the world needs right now – compelling, compassionate, full of hope and with characters you care deeply about. [This] story will resonate with readers of all ages – and especially with children looking to understand what it means to be a refugee and begin a life in a new country. We are hugely proud to be the UK publisher to launch Alyssa’s career.”
- Hot Key Books to publish 'personal' new novel from Arvin Ahmadi
- Hot Key acquires 'tense' YA murder tale from Barrow
- Usborne wins Russian folklore tale in 'hotly contested' auction
- Hot Key to publish standalone addition to Black's Folk of Air series
- Hot Key Books to publish five more of Springer's Enola Holmes titles