Hachette secures Pietsch-perfect manga partner

Hachette secures Pietsch-perfect manga partner

Hachette Book Group (HBG) and Japanese publisher Kadokawa Corporation (KC) have partnered to create a new joint manga imprint.

Yen Press LLC will be formed by the coming together of HBG’s Yen Press imprint, one of the US’ leading publishers of Japanese manga and light novels, and Kadokawa, a “major” Japanese publisher. KC will hold a majority stake, with 51% of Yen Press LLC to be acquired by its US investment company; HBG will hold the remaining 49%. The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of the month.

Michael Pietsch, c.e.o. of HBG, said: “This new partnership with Kadokawa is an exciting opportunity for HBG. The venture will further strengthen our Yen Press brand and enable us to leverage Kadokawa’s superb reputation in both manga and light novel genres, as well as its digital distribution and anime platforms.”

He added: “Combining Kadokawa’s expertise in these categories and HBG’s excellent sales, distribution and publishing support services, Yen Press will be well positioned to continue its remarkable growth.”

Former Borders Group buyer Kurt Hassler will be publisher of the new imprint.