Hachette UK is opening a sales and marketing office in Dubai to cover the Middle East, with Matt Cowdery taking on the role of sales manager, Middle East.
Group commercial director Richard Kitson said: "The establishment of an office in the Middle East is part of our long term strategy to develop and manage our sales operations in all our markets. It follows our move, in Canada, to Hachette Book Group Canada, the consolidation of our sales operation in Ireland and the opening of our already extremely successful company in India.
"With the market for English books in the Middle East flourishing, it is the perfect time to establish our own operation in the area and I am delighted that Matt Cowdery, who has heaps of experience in bookselling and, in particular, in the trade in the Middle East, has agreed to join us.
"Matt will be in the UK for the week before Frankfurt to get to know his new UK colleagues and then he will join us in Frankfurt."
Cowdery said: "I am delighted to be joining Hachette and to be part of this start-up which is a tangible expression of Hachette's commitment to its Middle East customers."
Cowdery was previously a buyer and manager at a number of Waterstone's stores, including Waterstone's Piccadilly. Since 2009, he has been living in the United Arab Emirates, working for bookshop Magrudy's and helping to run the Emirates Airlines Festival of Literature.
- Hachette 'actively looking' to open more offices outside of London, PRH UK 'considering'
- Hachette Children's hosts 'open days' for picture book creators in North and Scotland
- An office bug to be subject of next Shaun Tan book
- Hachette staff to work three days in the office from June
- Disappointment as extended Covid-19 restrictions hit events and office return