The Free Books Campaign is partnering with Round Table Books to launch a children's reading list.
Set up in July, the campaign has raised more than £3,000 so far to get books by authors of colour into the hands of people who need them.
The campaign reaches both adults and children with specific community-curated book lists. Contributors to the campaign include the Jhalak Prize, Black Girls' Book Club, Library of Africa & the African Diaspora, Little Tiger and Jacaranda Books. Among the authors featured are Angela Saini, Nels Abby, Candice Carty-Williams, Stella Dadzie and Maame Blue.
Education activist Sofia Akel, founder of the campaign, said: “No one should be denied the opportunity to increase their education and learning due to financial restrictions. We are raising much needed funds to help close that gap by sharing books that explore the experiences, stories and histories of people of colour for those who cannot afford to purchase them, or those who have challenges with books in different formats.”
- Knights Of hires Khadija Osman to launch Round Table Books
- Walker partners with Save the Children on free picturebook
- Ladybird partners with Read On. Get On. campaign
- BookTrust to deliver 700,000 free books to schools as Time to Read campaign kicks off
- Orion Children’s partners with Book Aid International