Fourth Estate and the Sunday Times are releasing 32 short stories, from the likes of Man Booker-winner Hilary Mantel, A L Kennedy, Carol Shields and Alexei Sayle, as digital downloads dubbed Fast Fiction for less than £2.
Editor Robin Harvie said all of the short stories by 4th Estate authors had previously been published with "most" of the author short stories appearing in the Sunday Times Magazine.
Readers can download Fast Fiction through the iBookstore, Amazon and Waterstone's, among others. Stories are priced between 99p and £1.99.
John Bond, Press Books m.d., said: "E-readers and tablets were made for consuming short stories on the move, and are the perfect platform for introducing readers to short form specialists."
Cathy Galvin, founder of the Sunday Times EFG Private Bank Short Story Award and the Fast Fiction concept, said: "Fast Fiction is an innovative way to deliver short fiction in a format that suits current reading tastes."
- Mantel and Woodward on Sunday Times short story shortlist
- Anam and Metcalfe shortlisted for Sunday Times short story prize
- Peace and Doughty on Sunday Times short story longlist
- McCann, Levy and Gappah longlisted for Sunday Times Short Story award
- McCann and Tel shortlisted for Sunday Times Short Story Award