Simon & Schuster UK has acquired two books by American YA debut author Erin Stewart following a five-publisher auction.
S&S UK bought UK and Commonwealth rights to Beauty for Ashes, which is about a 16-year-old girl going back to school after being disfigured in a fire, and a second YA novel.
“This submission floored me,” said commissioning editor Lucy Rogers. “Brave, moving, funny and ultimately life-affirming, Beauty for Ashes is a shining story of resilience and surviving against the odds. We feel very privileged to be publishing Erin’s incredibly special debut and can’t wait to get it into the hands of UK readers.”
Rogers struck a deal with Cecilia de la Campa, executive director of global licensing at Writers House, acting on behalf of Stewart’s agent Brianne Johnson. The novel has already sold in 15 other countries.
S&S will publish the first book in Autumn 2019 with the second untitled book to follow in 2020.
- Doyle's middle-grade debut to Bloomsbury after five-way auction
- Picador triumphs in five-way auction for 'remarkable' novels by Kawakami
- Harvill Secker wins 'remarkable' debut after 'intense' five-way auction
- Cape wins 'heated' five-way auction for biologist Raihani’s debut
- Harvill Secker scoops 'addictive' debut in five-way auction