Indie children’s publisher Everything With Words has landed its first adult book, a “brilliantly funny” guide to democracy by ex-MP Bob Marshall Andrews and illustrator Martin Rowson.
World rights were acquired by Mikka Anja Haugaard direct from the authors. The Big Hippo Guide to Democracy, Referendums, General Elections (and all that) will be published in paperback on 25th July.
Andrews is the former MP for Medway and previous author of Off Message (Profile), a witty account of his time in Parliament. Rowson is an award-winning cartoonist and writer whose work regularly appears in the Guardian among other publications.
The synopsis explains: “A brilliantly funny guide to how our democracy works or fails to work. The world of Westminster laid bare in cool, understated prose brimming with irony and seen through Martin Rowson’s sharp, satirical eye. What happens when your referendum goes haywire, your election fails to deliver and lies, truth and fake-news battle it out in cyber space to the cheers and tears of those grappling for power. All in the interest of the people...”
- Everything with Words signs first adult novel
- Young librarian wins Everything with Words YA competition
- Sphere acquires activism book by upskirting campaigner Gina Martin
- Short Books acquires Taylor's guide to 'reversing Type 2 Diabetes'
- PRH bags 'empowering' businesswomen's book in seven-way auction