Picador has scooped the debut novel of "Twitter’s unofficial poet laureate".
Paul Baggaley, the imprint’s publisher, acquired UK and Commonwealth rights to publish The Diary of a Somebody by Brian Bilston following an exclusive submission from Jo Unwin at JULA. The Diary of a Somebody will be published as a Picador hardback in 2019.
Bilston boasts more than 50,000 Twitter followers including J K Rowling, Roger McGough and Frank Cottrell Boyce. His first collection, You Took the Last Bus Home, was published by Unbound.
The diary-style novel follows Bilston “deciding to write a poem every day for a year”. But, the blurb reads, can his poetry save him from his arch nemesis, Toby Salt of boutique artisan publishing house?
Baggaley said: “I have never read a more unusual book, and I don’t think I have laughed as much reading a novel since the formative experience of reading Adrian Mole. The book is both hilarious and original, heart-breaking and fiendishly clever. I can’t wait to bring this wonderful book to readers everywhere.”
- Picador acquires Olivia Laing's debut novel
- Picador wins 14-way auction for 'heart-stopping' debut
- Picador triumphs in five-way auction for 'remarkable' novels by Kawakami
- Harvill Secker snaps up 'heartwarming' novel about three Catholic nuns
- Fourth Estate wins auction for 'blazing' autofiction debut