Harvill Secker has acquired a debut psychological thriller by Jo Jakeman, 2016 winner of York Festival of Writing's Friday Night Live competition.
Sticks and Stones tells the story of three very different women who have all had the misfortune to be romantically involved with the same abusive man, one after the other. One day, these unlikely allies decide it’s time for revenge. The book will publish on 12th July 2018.
Harvill Secker’s Jade Chandler, editorial director for Crime and Thrillers, acquired world rights including translation from Imogen Pelham at Marjacq.
Chandler said: "I’m really excited to be publishing Jo Jakeman’s debut thriller on the Harvill Secker crime list. Sticks and Stones has a brilliantly clever and refreshing conceit, as well as being packed with memorable, likeable characters. Jo’s a fantastic writer and I know she’s got a bright future ahead of her."
Imogen Pelham, Jakeman’s agent, said, "From the first page of Sticks and Stones I was absolutely hooked. Jo has written a standout thriller with three incredibly drawn women at its centre, and some brilliant gallows humour to boot. I am completely thrilled it has found the perfect home with Harvill Secker."
- Harvill Secker buys 'stunning' literary thriller debut
- Harvill Secker pre-empts North Korea thriller sold in 12 territories
- Harvill Secker signs Ware for books five and six
- 'Atmospheric' Inverness-set crime series to Harvill Secker after auction
- Jakeman signs double thriller deal with Harvill Secker