Faber editor Katherine Armstrong has picked up two books in a series by US illusionist Andrew Mayne.
Armstrong acquired UK and Commonwealth rights, excluding Canada, and pen EU rights in a deal with Meredith Miller and the Trident Media Group.
Angel Killer and Name of the Devil follow ex-illusionist turned FBI agent Jessica Blackwood, who uses her expertise to solve baffling cases.
Armstrong said: "I was totally blown away when I read Angel Killer. In Jessica Blackwood, Andrew has created a sassy and smart heroine and adds a real twist to the police procedural genre. As a real-life illusionist,Andrew has the knowledge to really make the reader sit up and think 'how is that done?'. I'm very much looking forward to introducing readers to Andrew and Jessica and think that they, like me, will really enjoy this slightly more unconventional heroine."
Both will be published as e-books this summer, with Angel Killer released as a B format mass market paperback in October, with Name of the Devil following next summer.
- Killer crime series to Trapeze in six-figure pre-empt
- Katherine Armstrong appointed senior editor for Zaffre crime
- Zaffre snaps up 'riveting' Bradley suspense thriller debut
- Zaffre lands Timon's 'brilliant' female spy thriller debut
- Zaffre to publish 'dark and twisted' debut thriller The Art of Death