Chicken House has acquired Moth and the Nightingale, a middle-grade children’s novel from debut author Lucinda Martin.
The book, described as a “subtle and surprisingly modern interpretation of the lonely, bookish child”, tells the story of Henry, a young girl whose life changes when she meets Moth, a with-like old lady who lives near her house. As Britain finds itself moving towards war, Henry turns to Moth for help – but soon realises she may be hiding some dark secrets of her own.
Editorial director Rachel Leyshon acquired the world rights from Luigi Bonomi Associates and will publish in 2016.
- Piccadilly acquires middle-grade title from Holly Goldberg Sloan
- Chicken House and Altitude Films sign middle grade fantasy
- HarperCollins signs 'stunning' middle-grade series by debut author Hastings
- Crown House cops middle grade detective series from Kessel
- Debut author Mary Evans signs with Chicken House