Charco Press is to publish Bolivian writer Giovanna Rivero’s short story collection Fresh dirt from the grave, the first ever English language publication of her work.
World English and Spanish North American rights were bought from literary agent Sophie Savary, literary agent, for the book, published originally by Editorial Cuervo in Bolivia in 2020 and by Spanish press Candaya in February 2021. The collection will be published by Charco Press in 2023, and will mark the first time a Bolivian author has featured in Charco's catologue.
Rivero is a novelist, short-story writer, author of YA books and lecturer in Latin American literature. Considered to be part of the recent wave of the so-called neorealist Latin American Gothic writers, and compared to Edgar Allan Poe, Rivero is one of the best-known writers in contemporary Bolivia and Latin America at large. She is the author of four novels and seven short story collections and has won international short story prizes in both Spain and Bolivia.
Editorial director Carolina Orloff said: “We are extremely excited to be introducing the English-speaking readers to the enticing world of Giovanna Rivero’s fiction and provide an insight into Bolivian reality.”
- Charco Press to publish Spanish language editions
- Raven Books lands Samira Sedira's English language debut
- Doubleday lands English language debut from Lewis
- The English patient: bestseller Jin Yong’s long wait for English-language publication
- Carcanet to mark Remembrance Day with first English translation of Alain-Fournier's poetry