Lake Union, an imprint of Amazon Publishing, has signed a two-book deal with Boris Starling.
Fiction editor Sammia Hamer acquired world English rights from Juliet Mushens at Mushens Entertainment. The first book in the deal, The Law of the Heart, will be published simultaneously in the UK, US and Australia in May 2021. The second, as-yet-untitled book will follow in May 2022.
Set in North Korea, The Law of the Heart follows nomad Rufus, who meets a tourist guide, Min, in the capital city Pyongyang. Their lives change suddenly as the laws they have lived by are swept away by their feelings for one another.
Hamer said: "We are absolutely delighted to welcome Boris to the Lake Union list. Such is the power of his writing, this captivating novel immediately sweeps you away to North Korea. The searing emotions between lead characters Rufus and Min, and the bittersweet love story of Min’s grandmother, will capture and break your heart in equal measure."
Starling commented: "It’s so important for a book to find the right home, and Lake Union is the perfect place for The Law of the Heart. I’m very proud of this book and wanted to find an editor who really ‘got’ it, so I’m thrilled to be working with Sammia and her team."
- Amazon Publishing strikes first deal with Caskie Mushens
- Avon takes Pattison's first standalone thriller in two-book deal
- Driscoll signs new two-book deal with Amazon Publishing
- Mostly Lit's Derek Owusu signs two-book deal with Stormzy imprint
- Carol Mason strikes new four-book deal with Amazon Publishing