The Bookseller is to run an Illustrators’ Showcase at this year’s Bologna Children’s Book Fair devoted to displaying the art-work of new illustrators.
The Illustrator Showcase will feature in the magazine’s Bologna Book Fair Daily, with 7,000 editions distributed daily at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair. Illustrators are now invited to submit their work to The Bookseller, with the criteria explained below. The Bookseller will select the illustrations from those submitted.
The initiative, inspired by the "Illustrator’s Wall” at the fair—where illustrators pin-up samples of their work and contact details for passing publishers and agents to peruse—is supported by the Association of Illustrators. The showcase is designed to promote the work of unrepresented illustrators or those at the early stages of their career.
The Bologna Children's Book Fair is the biggest children's book fair in the world. Publishers, illustrators, graphic designers, literary agents, authors, translators, mobile developers, licensors and licensees, packagers, printers, distributors, audiobook professionals, booksellers, brands, librarians and teachers flock to the event, which takes place from 26th March to 29th March. About 1,200 exhibitors fill the halls and the fair attracts more than 26,000 visitors from more than 90 countries.
Criteria for illustrators
- You must be unrepresented – i.e. not have an agent representing your work, or recently graduated (within the past two years) from college.
- You may submit work from your portfolio, or a new piece of work, but not work already published.
- You may not submit more than three pieces of illustration.
- The work should be suitable for a children’s fiction or non-fiction title, but can be in any style.
- Please submit your name, social media hashtag, email address and website along with the piece.
- The Bookseller will require a licence for the use of the images in print and the digital versions of its Bologna Book Fair Daily. Copyright is retained by the illustrator.
How to enter?
Please send an example of your work by 5pm on the 12th of March to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org. Files must be in jpeg or a tif format at 300dpi suitable for print size up to A4. The Bookseller will contact the successful applicants by 12pm on the 16th of March. There is no payment for entering, or for having the work printed in the magazine.