Blackwell's is to close its Bristol store in its current location this summer, after more than 100 years in the same spot.
The retailer confirmed that the shop closure had been in the pipeline for some time, as the store comes to the end of its lease this summer. Blackwell's is in the process of finalising an alternative location.
A bookshop was established in Bristol's Park Street in 1847 by a 17-year-old William George, before the shop was bought by Blackwell's in 1929. Despite the buyout, the shop continued trading under the George's name until a rebrand in the 1980s, while the shop also downsized to another premises on Park Street.
The store supplies academic titles to nearby Bristol University, and operates a term time shop within the student union.