Black & White Publishing has acquired Feisty and Fiery and Fierce by Mairi Kidd, a collection of stories about Celtic women making their mark.
Feisty and Fiery and Fierce tells of 30 women from Scotland, Ireland and Wales who had had an impact by "breaking barriers and changing the course of history in their wake." Both well-known historical figures and those who have remained in the shadows will be featured in the illustrated book.
Managing director Campbell Brown acquired world rights direct from the author. The book will be published on 24th September 2020.
Kidd commented: "I wanted to write this book to show that women have always fought against the structures that bound us, refused to accept limitations imposed on us from outside and achieved extraordinary things within contexts of extraordinary challenge. I've written about Scottish women in this way before, and in expanding the reach of the book to encompass Ireland and Wales I hoped to add extra weight to the idea that we were always here, part of a wider world in which women—of course—played a vital and vibrant part."
Kidd is currently head of literature, languages and publishing at Creative Scotland. She was formerly managing director of Barrington Stoke and has previously published Warriors and Witches and Damn Rebel Bitches (Black & White publishing, 2019).
- Mairi Kidd celebrates inspirational Scots with Black & White deal
- Black & White signs McBride's 'inspiring' collection of stories from Irish women
- Barrington Stoke acquires Steve Cole novel
- Black & White to publish 'feel-good' novel from Grace-Cassidy
- Dialogue snaps up Ofori's debut challenging 'monolithic narrative about Black women'